Questions? Email Us Now

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Berchem Moses PC
  • Milford 203-783-1200
  • westport 203-227-9545

One of the most difficult disputes in divorce: spousal support

The Connecticut judicial branch makes it clear on its website that it is simply giving visitors information, not legal advice. So if someone wants to try to handle a divorce on their own, they can find forms and deadlines there, but no advice on what to ask for in a property division dispute or child custody arrangement. You are on your own, the state says: “If you have questions about the use of these forms, your legal rights, or particular issues in your case, it is strongly recommended that you talk to an attorney.”

These can be complicated matters, with infinite variation in circumstances involving kids, assets, spousal support, child support, prenuptial agreements and much more.

When a couple finds that their differences in preferred lifestyles makes them incompatible, they might well be able to have an amicable divorce, especially if a prenuptial agreement settles property division matters, and the couple has no children. But when a couple splits with disagreements over things such as alimony, for instance, a divorce can be complicated.

An experienced family law attorney can help a client in need of alimony while divorce proceedings are underway to file appropriate, timely requests to grant what is known as alimony pendente lite. It involves payments that last until a divorce decree is issued; a decree that might well contain a different alimony determination in it.

There are also post-divorce modifications of alimony for some to consider. These can be filed after a “substantial change in circumstances.”

In some situations, people might get divorced, then agree between themselves that an alimony order is too difficult for the former husband or former wife to comply with. However, the court won’t see it that way.

If a dispute later arises over this informal alimony modification, the court will consider its original order to be in effect. Connecticut courts have stated that marriage dissolutions can’t be modified by the parties involved “without further decree or order by the court.”

Confusing? It can be for the layperson, that’s for sure. Milford family law attorneys can help you understand and protect your rights and interests in divorce disputes.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Berchem Moses PC
75 Broad Street
Milford, CT 06460
Phone: 203-783-1200
Fax: 203-878-2235
Milford Law Office Map

Berchem Moses PC
1221 Post Road East
Westport, CT 06880
Phone: 203-227-9545
Fax: 203-226-1641
Westport Law Office Map