Brian W. Smith
In The News
November 15-16, 2013: Berchem Moses lawyers attended the 2013 conference of the Connecticut Association of Boards of Education/Connecticut Association of Public School Superintendents, November...
December 2012: Shelby L. Wilson was quoted in an article on estate planning in the December edition of New Haven Magazine. In the article, entitled “The Greatest Gift,” Shelby comments on how...
Brian W. Smith is a Partner at Berchem Moses PC in Milford, Connecticut where he also serves as the Litigation Supervisor.
His extensive litigation practice has seen him try cases both inside and outside of Connecticut in state court, federal court, bankruptcy court as well as arbitration forums. The wide range of legal issues he has tried to conclusion before a jury includes civil rights, personal injury, product liability, breach of contract, premises liability, construction contracts, defamation, wrongful termination, negligent supervision and professional malpractice. He litigated groundbreaking issues in Ganim v. Smith & Wesson (municipal claim against gun manufacturers) and the prison overcrowding cases that were consolidated before Judge Jose Cabranes from 1981 to 1987.
In addition to traditional court forums, Mr. Smith has represented clients before licensing boards, the Freedom of Information Commission, the Department of Labor, the Workers' Compensation Commission and the Office of the Claims Commissioner.
Outside of the courtroom, Mr. Smith has been active as a faculty member for trial practice seminars given by the Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association and the Connecticut Bar Association, as well as serving as a judge for various mock trial competitions. Mr. Smith is a member of the Milford Bar Association, Bridgeport Bar Association, Connecticut Bar Association, American Bar Association and other professional groups.
- Civil Litigation
- Insurance Defense Litigation
- Insurance Law
- Insurance Coverage Counsel
- Duke University School of Law, Durham, North Carolina
- J.D. - 1981
- Honors: Phi Alpha Delta
- University of Buffalo
- B.A. - 1978
- Honors: magna cum laude
- Berchem, Moses & Devlin, P.C., Litigation Supervisor, 2003 to 2003
- Yale Undergraduate Mock Trial Competition, Judge, 2003 to 2003
- Milford Bar Association, Member
- Bridgeport Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- American Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Connecticut Prison Association, Director, Legal Services, 1982 to 1987
- Connecticut, 1981
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1982
Classes & Seminars
- Faculty, Jury Trials, Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, 1995 to 1997