Mario F. Coppola
In The News
Berchem Moses PC recently announced that Mario F. Coppola has been named Senior Partner. Attorney Coppola practices in the areas of municipal law, land use and zoning, property tax assessment...
Seven Attorneys From Berchem Moses PC Named to 2019 Connecticut And New England Super Lawyers® Only 5 percent of attorneys in the state are selected to receive this prestigious honor. MILFORD AND...
Attorney Coppola practices in the areas of municipal law, land use and zoning, property tax assessment appeals, general civil litigation and real estate transactions. He has handled hundreds of land use/zoning and tax appeal matters from the administrative level through the Connecticut courts. He has handled property tax appeals involving various types of real and personal property, including complex and specialized commercial properties, totaling billions of dollars over the years.
Attorney Coppola has been serving as Corporation Counsel for the City of Norwalk since 2013. He has also served as a Town Attorney for the Town of Trumbull from 2009 to 2013 and an Assistant Town Attorney for the Town of Westport since 2006. Attorney Coppola regularly provides legal representation and services to other municipalities, including the Towns of Easton, Madison, New Canaan, Trumbull, Weston and Wilton.
Attorney Coppola received his bachelor’s degree in Political Science from Boston College in 2001 and his Juris Doctorate Degree from the University of Connecticut School of Law in 2004. He is admitted to practice in the State of Connecticut and United States District Court.
Attorney Coppola currently serves on the board of directors of the Connecticut Association of Municipal Attorneys (CAMA). Attorney Coppola previously served as Chairman of the Connecticut Bar Association ("CBA") Planning and Zoning Section and Chairman for the Fairfield County Bar Association (FCBA) Land Use and Municipal Law Sections.
Attorney Coppola is a frequent lecturer on various land use/zoning and property valuation and tax appeals issues. He has been a featured speaker at seminars conducted by the Connecticut Bar Association, Fairfield Bar Association, American Planners Association, UConn Assessor's School, Connecticut Association of Assessing Officers and the Appraisal Institute.
The Connecticut Law Tribune listed Attorney Coppola as one its "New Leaders in The Law" in November 2012. In 2015, the Fairfield County Business Journal recognized Attorney Coppola as one of its “40 Under 40” leaders in the business community. Attorney Coppola is rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale Hubbell, which is its highest designation. Attorney Coppola has been recognized as a top-rated State, Local & Municipal attorney by Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers from 2013 to 2020 and was previously named to the 2010-2012 Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars lists for Land Use & Zoning.
Attorney Coppola is active in the community. He currently serves as president of the Walter Camp Football Foundation, which annually selects the country’s oldest and most prestigious All-American team. He previously served as president of the Greater New Haven Columbus Day Committee and a commissioner on the West Haven Zoning Board of Appeals.
- Municipal Law
- Land Use & Zoning
- Property Tax Assessment Appeals
- Real Estate Transactions
- General Civil Litigation
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- J.D. - 2004
- Honors: National Italian Bar Association Scholarship Winner, 2003
- Honors: Pudlin Scholar
- Honors: CALI Award
- Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
- B.A. - 2001
- Honors: Golden Key National Honor Society
- Major: Political Science
- Walter Camp Football Foundation (Board of Directors)
- Central Connecticut Coast YMCA (Board of Directors)
- Greater New Haven Columbus Day Committee (Chairman of Board of Directors)
- West Haven Zoning Board of Appeals, Commissioner
- American Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- CBA Planning & Zoning Section, Secretary & Executive Committee Member
- CBA's Municipal Law & Government Services Section, Executive Committee
- Fairfield County Bar Association, Member
- Fairfield County Bar Association's, Land Use and Zoning and Municipal Law Sections, Co-Chair
- Connecticut, 2004
- U.S. District Court, 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory AV® Preeminent™
- Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers – State, Local & Municipal Attorney
- Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars - Land Use & Zoning
- "New Leaders in The Law", November 2012 edition, The Connecticut Law Tribune
Classes & Seminars
- "Air BnB Law: The Implications of Short-Term Rentals for Property Owners and Municipalities," CBA Annual Meeting, June 11, 2018
- "Hot Topics in Land Use Law and Practice 2018," Connecticut Chapter of the American Planning Association, June 8, 2018
- “Tax Appeal Cases – Perspectives and Practice Tips from Municipal Attorney and Taxpayer’s Attorney”, Westport Bar Association, February 22, 2018
- “Connecticut Land Use Law For Municipal Land Use Agencies, Boards And Commissions”, CBA Planning And Zoning Section, March 25, 2017
- “Hot Topics In Land Use Law and Practice 2017”, Connecticut Chapter of the American Planning Association, June 16, 2017
- "Connecticut Case Studies in Ad Valorem Taxation Litigation”, Appraisal Institute, April 2016
- "Tax Appeal Cases, Perspectives and Practice Tips from Municipal Attorney," School for Connecticut Assessors and Board of Assessment Appeals, June 2013
- "Legislative Update," CBA Planning & Zoning/Environmental Sections, June 2013
- "Nonconforming Uses and Variances," Fairfield County Bar Association, October 2013
- "Everything you need to know about the new bonding requirements for subdivision and site plan approvals created by Public Act 11-79," Fairfield County Bar Association, March 2012
- "Abandonment and Discontinuance of Public Roads," Fairfield County Bar Association, January 2011
- "Real Estate Valuation Basics and Review of Tax Assessment Appeals and Eminent Domain Procedures," Connecticut Bar Association, March 2010