Mario F. Coppola
In The News
Seven Attorneys From Berchem Moses PC Named to 2019 Connecticut And New England Super Lawyers® Only 5 percent of attorneys in the state are selected to receive this prestigious honor. MILFORD AND...
Attorney Mario Coppola discusses Ad Valorem Taxation Litigation On Expert Panel For Appraisal Institute
Mr. Coppola will be the only attorney on an expert panel discussing Connecticut Case Studies in Ad Valorem Taxation Litigation at an April 18th event to be held in Berlin, CT. The Appraisal...
Mario F. Coppola practices in the areas of municipal law, land use and zoning, property tax assessment appeals, real estate transactions and general civil litigation. Mr. Coppola has handled hundreds of land use and zoning and tax appeal matters from the administrative level through the Connecticut courts. Over the years, Mario has handled property ad valorem tax appeals involving various types of real and personal property, including complex and specialized commercial properties, which total billions of dollars.
Mr. Coppola currently serves as Corporation Counsel for the City of Norwalk. He has also served as a Town Attorney for the Town of Trumbull from 2009 to 2013 and an Assistant Town Attorney for the Town of Westport since 2006. Mr. Coppola regularly provides legal representation and services to other municipalities, including the Towns of Easton, Madison, New Canaan, Trumbull, Weston and Wilton.
Mr. Coppola currently serves as the Chairman of the Connecticut Bar Association ("CBA") Planning and Zoning Section. Mr. Coppola has served as Co-Chair for the Fairfield County Bar Association (FCBA) Land Use and Municipal Law Sections. Mr. Coppola has also served as Co-Chair of the Real Property and Zoning Committee of the CBA's Young Lawyer's Section.
In addition, Mr. Coppola currently serves on the board of directors of the Connecticut Association of Municipal Attorneys (CAMA). He also is a frequent lecturer on various land use, zoning, property valuation and property tax appeal issues. Mr. Coppola has been a featured speaker at seminars conducted by the Connecticut Bar Association, Fairfield Bar Association, American Planners Association, Uconn Assessor's School, Connecticut Association of Assessing Officers and the Appraisal Institute.
The Connecticut Law Tribune listed Mr. Coppola as one its "New Leaders in The Law" in the November 2012 edition of its New Leaders in the Law yearbook.
Mario Coppola is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell, its highest designation. Mr. Coppola has been recognized as a top-rated State, Local & Municipal attorney by Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers since 2013. He was previously named to the 2010-2012 Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars lists for Land Use & Zoning.
Mr. Coppola received his Bachelor's Degree in Political Science from Boston College (B.A., 2001), where he was inducted into the Golden Key National Honor Society. Mr. Coppola received his Juris Doctorate Degree from the University of Connecticut School of Law (J.D., 2004). While attending the University of Connecticut School of Law he was the 2003 National Italian Bar Association Scholarship winner, a recipient of the Pudlin Scholar Fellowship and a winner of the CALI excellence award. He is admitted to practice in the State of Connecticut and United States District Court.
- Municipal Law
- Land Use & Zoning
- Property Tax Assessment Appeals
- Real Estate Transactions
- General Civil Litigation
- University of Connecticut School of Law, Hartford, Connecticut
- J.D. - 2004
- Honors: National Italian Bar Association Scholarship Winner, 2003
- Honors: Pudlin Scholar
- Honors: CALI Award
- Boston College, Chestnut Hill, Massachusetts
- B.A. - 2001
- Honors: Golden Key National Honor Society
- Major: Political Science
- Walter Camp Football Foundation (Board of Directors)
- Central Connecticut Coast YMCA (Board of Directors)
- Greater New Haven Columbus Day Committee (Chairman of Board of Directors)
- West Haven Zoning Board of Appeals, Commissioner
- American Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- CBA Planning & Zoning Section, Secretary & Executive Committee Member
- CBA's Municipal Law & Government Services Section, Executive Committee
- Fairfield County Bar Association, Member
- Fairfield County Bar Association's, Land Use and Zoning and Municipal Law Sections, Co-Chair
- Connecticut, 2004
- U.S. District Court, 2005
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory AV® Preeminent™
- Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers – State, Local & Municipal Attorney 2018-2019
- Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers Rising Stars - Land Use & Zoning
- "New Leaders in The Law", November 2012 edition, The Connecticut Law Tribune
Classes & Seminars
- "Air BnB Law: The Implications of Short-Term Rentals for Property Owners and Municipalities," CBA Annual Meeting, June 11, 2018
- "Hot Topics in Land Use Law and Practice 2018," Connecticut Chapter of the American Planning Association, June 8, 2018
- “Tax Appeal Cases – Perspectives and Practice Tips from Municipal Attorney and Taxpayer’s Attorney”, Westport Bar Association, February 22, 2018
- “Connecticut Land Use Law For Municipal Land Use Agencies, Boards And Commissions”, CBA Planning And Zoning Section, March 25, 2017
- “Hot Topics In Land Use Law and Practice 2017”, Connecticut Chapter of the American Planning Association, June 16, 2017
- "Connecticut Case Studies in Ad Valorem Taxation Litigation”, Appraisal Institute, April 2016
- "Tax Appeal Cases, Perspectives and Practice Tips from Municipal Attorney," School for Connecticut Assessors and Board of Assessment Appeals, June 2013
- "Legislative Update," CBA Planning & Zoning/Environmental Sections, June 2013
- "Nonconforming Uses and Variances," Fairfield County Bar Association, October 2013
- "Everything you need to know about the new bonding requirements for subdivision and site plan approvals created by Public Act 11-79," Fairfield County Bar Association, March 2012
- "Abandonment and Discontinuance of Public Roads," Fairfield County Bar Association, January 2011
- "Real Estate Valuation Basics and Review of Tax Assessment Appeals and Eminent Domain Procedures," Connecticut Bar Association, March 2010