Lawyers in this Practice Area
Our litigation attorneys have a track record of winning cases. We regularly appear in federal and state courts throughout Connecticut. We defend our clients’ cases from their inception, preparing pleadings, conducting depositions, working with expert witnesses, and handling all pretrial discovery proceedings, and defending clients at trial.
Attorney Richard J. Buturla, who chairs Berchem Moses’ litigation section, is highly experienced in trial advocacy. Our clients include many major insurance companies, self-insured corporations and municipalities.
Our litigation defense attorneys provide effective and efficient legal services for a wide variety of claims. Insurance companies and high-profile self-insured businesses and corporations faced with litigation have benefited from our extensive experience in the following areas:
- Commercial litigation — We regularly defend businesses, large and small, in complex business- and commercial-based litigation.
- Insurance defense — We are experienced in all facets of insurance defense, including coverage disputes, negligence, uninsured and underinsured motorist claims, auto accidents, premises liability, product liability, unfair trade practice, bad faith/unfair insurance practices, professional liability, workers’ compensation, surety and employment law.
- Municipal litigation — We provide comprehensive representation, from simple negligence and nuisance claims to complex issues arising from the assertion of Section 1983 complaints, including claims of excessive force against police officers. For further information on our services to municipalities, please visit our Municipal Law page.
- Civil rights violations — We have a lengthy record in defending police officers, government officials, school boards, municipalities and their employees in civil rights actions brought against them in federal court.
- Indian land claims — We represent municipalities, title insurance companies and homeowners in defense of title disputes relating to Indian land claims.
- Employment litigation defense — Our attorneys regularly defend employers from allegations of discrimination, wrongful and/or retaliatory discharge, and many other claims. Our robust trial practice group and our employment practice group routinely collaborate to benefit our clients.
- Preventive education — We help clients avoid litigation by providing educational seminars, newsletters and round table discussions for clients and their employees.
With offices in New Haven and Fairfield counties, the litigation attorneys of Berchem Moses PC represent clients throughout the state. Contact us to arrange a consultation.
Insurance Defense/Workers’ Compensation
Our insurance defense attorneys have decades of experience successfully representing the interests of insurance companies, self-insured corporations, third-party administrators and municipalities in a broad range of insurance defense litigation. We have an in-depth understanding of the insurance defense industry and a track record of getting results for our clients.
Please contact the Connecticut insurance defense lawyers of Berchem Moses PC for knowledgeable and cost-effective representation.
Our clients benefit from our assertive defense in the following areas of insurance law:
- Civil rights claims against government officials and police officers
- Coverage disputes
- Premises liability
- Product liability
- Professional liability
- Dram shop/liquor liability
- Unfair trade practice
- Bad faith/unfair insurance practices
- Workers’ compensation
- Title VII claims
From commercial property to uninsured motorists’ coverage, we have substantial experience in providing opinions and counsel in this complex area.
Our attorneys vigorously defend all types of negligence claims, including motor vehicle cases, excess insurance, and uninsured and underinsured motorist claims.
Our many years of experience in representing municipalities, private landowners, and self-insured retailers who deal with the natural consequences of high-volume pedestrian traffic have provided invaluable knowledge of liability premises issues.
Our attorneys have defended individual professionals, including physicians, attorneys and accountants, against claims of negligence, errors and omissions.
We have successfully defended many lawsuits against restaurants, bars, hotels and similar establishments for claims of liquor liability.
Interpreting the handling of claims by carriers and self-insureds may result in claims of unfair or deceptive acts by third parties. Our firm has a distinguished reputation in this complex area of the law.
Our attorneys represent parties in all areas of construction law, including defending complex claims and claims brought against sureties by subcontractors and owners.
Please contact our workers’ compensation attorneys for reputable legal counsel in workers’ compensation matters, including mental/emotional injuries, repetitive trauma/occupational disease, employer discrimination and fraud/misrepresentation.
Our extensive experience with employment law and labor law complements our abilities in defending against claims of discrimination, wrongful termination, sexual harasasment and related matters.
With offices in New Haven and Fairfield counties, the insurance defense lawyers of Berchem Moses PC represent insurers and funded plans throughout the state of Connecticut.