Superior Court Judge Anthony V. Avallone has joined Berchem Moses PC following his retirement from the bench in June 2022. Serving as a mediator, he brings a wealth of knowledge in dispute resolution, helping litigants avoid the necessity of costly and time-consuming trials.
Judge Avallone began his legal career in private practice with his father, Anthony S. Avallone, and brother Vincent in their New Haven family law firm. His practice included trial work, probate, real estate development, land use, construction, and zoning matters.
Elected to the Connecticut State Senate in 1983, over the next ten years, he served as chair of numerous Senate Committees including Public Safety, Commerce and Exportation, Finance and Bonding, and, as well, Judiciary.
After being recommended for a Superior Court judgeship by Governor Dannel P. Malloy in 2014, and confirmed by the Connecticut General Assembly, he served as a Superior Court Judge until April 2017 and as a Judge Trial Referee until his full retirement from the bench in June of this year.
Judge Avallone was the Presiding Judge of the New Haven Housing Court where he was extensively involved in pre-trial settlement and dispute resolutions and earned a reputation as a “to go” mediator who was often called upon to resolve complicated disputes.
Judge Avallone has been and remains deeply committed to his community; he has served on the Board of Directors and as Chairman of the Boys & Girls Village, Inc., and the Southern Connecticut State University Foundation. He was recognized by the Connecticut Chiefs of Police Association as Legislator of the Year and received both the RisCassi-Koskoff Civil Justice Award and the Sons of Italy Golden Lion Award.
- Suffolk University Law School, Boston, MA
- J.D. – 1973
- The University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- B.A. – 1969
- Connecticut, 1974
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1975
- Connecticut Bar Association, Member
- New Haven County Bar Association, Member
- Connecticut Judges Association, Member
- General Counsel Manufacturing Alliance of Connecticut, Member (former)
- Democratic National Committee, Member (former)
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association, Member (former)
- Boys & Girls Village, Inc., Chairman and Board of Directors (former)
- Southern Connecticut State University Foundation, Chairman and Board of Directors (former)
- Business Dissolution
- Contract Disputes
- Personal Injury
- Professional Liability