Christopher M. Hodgson is a Senior Partner in the firm’s Labor and Employment Practice Group. He has practiced labor and employment law in Connecticut since 1985. Chris is rated AV Preeminent by his peers in Martindale-Hubbell, its highest designation. He has been named as a top-rated Employment and Labor attorney by Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers since 2007. Additionally, Chris has been included in Best Lawyers in America® since 2010 for Employment Law – Management, Labor Law – Management, and Litigation – Labor and Employment. Chris is a graduate of Choate-Rosemary Hall, the University of Vermont, and the University of Richmond School of Law. He is admitted to the bar in Connecticut, the U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, and the U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit.
Chris has represented numerous private and public sector employers in collective bargaining and labor relations matters, including negotiating collective bargaining agreements, presenting municipal and Board of Education interest arbitration cases, and defending grievance arbitration claims. He advises employers regarding all laws applicable to the workplace. Chris has also represented management in a wide spectrum of labor and employment litigation in state and federal courts. He has extensive experience in conducting workplace investigations including allegations of employee misconduct, violations of workplace policies, and discrimination and/or harassment complaints. Chris has defended hundreds of discrimination claims before the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, and has significant experience before the National Labor Relations Board. Chris has argued cases before Connecticut’s Supreme and Appellate Courts, including representing the company in Chiaia v. Pepperidge Farm, Inc., 24 Conn. App. 362 (1991), appeal denied, 219 Conn. 907 (1991), which established in Connecticut an employer’s right to terminate an employee pursuant to a neutrally applied leave of absence policy.
Prior to joining Berchem Moses PC, Attorney Hodgson was a Director at the firm of Durant, Nichols, Houston, Hodgson & Cortese-Costa, P.C. located in Bridgeport, Connecticut, since 1990.
Chris Hodgson is deeply involved in the community. He is active in Choate Rosemary Hall’s Alumni Association, where he served as President and was a member of the school’s Board of Trustees. He has also served as a board member with the Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce and the Barnum Museum, and as President of the Yale Youth Hockey Association. Chris resides in Guilford, Connecticut with his wife, Janine, who is also an attorney, and their three children, Kate, Brooke and Jack. He currently serves on the Guilford Foundation Board of Directors.
- Labor & Employment
- University of Richmond, The T.C. Williams School of Law, Richmond, Virginia
- J.D. – 1985
- University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont
- B.A. – 1982
- Major: English
- Major: Political Science
- Major: Spanish
- Past President, Choate Rosemary Hall Alumni Association
- Choate Rosemary Hall Board of Trustees
- Bridgeport Chamber of Commerce, Executive Committee
- The Barnum Museum Board of Directors
- Yale Youth Hockey Association, Past President, Member
- Guilford Foundation, Board of Directors
- Connecticut Bar Association, Labor and Employment Law Section
- U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2011
- Connecticut, 1985
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut, 1985
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory AV® Preeminent™
- Connecticut and New England Super Lawyers – Employment & Labor, 2007 – 2020
- Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® for work in Employment Law – Management, Labor Law- Management, and Litigation – Labor and Employment since 2010
- Named “Lawyer of the Year” by Best Lawyers for Labor Law – Management, Stamford (2014)
Classes & Seminars
- Speeches to Employer Groups Regarding Labor and Employment Law