Representing School Boards
The Legal Concerns Of Connecticut School Boards
For school boards facing shifting legal guidelines, both in terms of education law and related issues like labor and employment law, accomplished legal counsel can be a great asset. At Berchem Moses PC, our extensive experience representing the interests of school boards both in and out of the courtroom has made us one of the leaders in Connecticut school law.
Not only have we represented the legal interests of a variety of school boards, but our education lawyers have also maintained membership in the Connecticut Association of Boards of Education (CABE) and the National School Boards Association’s Council of School Attorneys (COSA). This focus on education law gives us deep knowledge of the needs of school boards and the skills necessary to help them navigate the ever-changing requirements they face.
Establishing Stronger Policies And Defending Your Interests
Our attorneys at Berchem Moses PC partner with school boards both to address current legal concerns and to build strong policies that ensure compliance in the future. We provide legal counsel to school boards in a wide variety of situations, including:
- Policy review and drafting. We assist in the development and revision of school board policies and school codes. This will help protect you from potential litigation by ensuring that these policies comply with all necessary state and federal laws and achieve your school board’s long-term objectives. We can also advise you during disputes over these policies.
- Special education law. This includes experience navigating legal requirements for special education screening and defending board decisions during litigation.
- Compliance with open meetings requirements. The Connecticut Open Meetings Law requires school boards to conduct open meetings, and our attorney can assist school boards to ensure compliance with these legal requirements.
- Employment contracts. We can assist in collective bargaining and union contract negotiations as well as navigating the legal guidelines regarding teacher tenure.
- Litigation. Our attorneys have the tenacity and depth of knowledge required to defend school boards in court, and we have navigated cases in the U.S. District Court.
For more information on legal issues affecting school administrations, visit our education law blog.
Partner With Us For Skilled School Board Representation
To speak with a skilled and experienced attorney about your school board’s specific need for legal counsel or representation, contact us online or call 203-783-1200. From our offices in Westport and Milford, Berchem Moses PC represents clients throughout the state.